Having a non-basic name has always made you stand out from the crowd, hasn’t it? From a source of total embarrassment to a reason for people to ask what possessed your parents to choose this name. So often your name can be a total pain!
Here are some of the most common moments you might face if you have a Muslim name.
1. When your teacher calls out names in class, gets to yours and… *pause*
This is usually followed by a giggle from your classmates and you having to mumble the correct pronunciation to your teacher.
2. When all the questions about your name come at once
“But what does it mean?” “What language is it in?” “Why did your parents name you after a fruit?”
The answer is: I DON’T KNOW!
3. When you arrive for an appointment and you get: “I was expecting a man/woman”
Because your name is never enough of a giveaway, sadly.
4. Assuming that because you are Muslim you should be called Mohammed
Well, that would make things awkward, wouldn’t it?
5. When you have a “neutral” name and fellow Muslims don’t get it
Probably the worst of all…
At least now you know you are definitely not alone! If you have had any awkward moments because of your name, let us know. We want to hear the funniest or most annoying stories from you.