Featured image credit: B Journal
With Ramadan fast approaching we’ve been on the hunt for snacks that are easy to make after a day without food or water. And not ‘easy to make’ in a deceptively complicated and time consuming way, but in a literal ‘I don’t want to have to think too much’ kind of way.
And so we come to cloud bread. Despite the name, cloud bread isn’t really bread at all. You achieve the not-bread by whipping together eggs, cream cheese or yogurt, and cream of tartar (a stabiliser) into stiff peaks. After smushing it into circle-shapes, you stick it in the oven for 25 minutes until they brown into bun-like spheres of golden goodness. Perfect for Iftar, as they fill you up without you needing to stuff your face with actual breads.
Better still, cloud bread requires no kneading or proving; it’s gluten and grain free, and it’s pretty much zero carb. Yay.
Here’s the original recipe, via the blog Spend with Pennies:
- 3 large eggs, divided.
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar.
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese or 1/3 cup fat free (or light) Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 150 C. Line a pan with parchment paper.
- Mix egg whites & cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl mix egg yolks & greek yogurt (or cream cheese) until well combined and smooth. Gently fold in about 1 cup (240 ml) of the egg white mixture until well combined. Add remaining egg whites and fold just until mixed.
- Divide egg mixture into 6 equal portions on prepared pan. Spread until about ½ inch thick.
- Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately move to a wire rack and cool completely (at least 60 minutes).
- Refrigerate in a sealed container to store.
Now you’ve got that down, try some of these cloud bread variations (shouts to Buzzfeed for the recipes finds).
Cloud Bread Sandwiches
Load your bread with veggies, cheese, tuna, turkey, whatever. Maybe not at the same time though.
Cloud Bread Salad
これは本日のランチ。クラウドブレッド。 今日はアボカドとともに。 あと、ミントとタイムも。 ディルは虫にやられてダメになっちゃった。 また種を買ってこよう。 ☆ #クラウドブレッド #cloudbread #サラダ #salad #lunch #おうちごはん #ローカーボ #lowcarb #veggie #lowfat #lowcalorie #highprotein #healtyfood #vegefood #foodporn #foodie #アボカド #avocado #ミント #mint #タイム #thyme #豆乳マヨ #soymayonnaise #vegetablemayonnaise #我が家のにゃん男は昨日から押し入れで寝ています #彼が押し入れで寝出すと春も終わり #ホカペがやーっとしまえる
Look at that cloud bread salad. Who wouldn’t want to break their fast with that?
Cloud Bread Burger
You can achieve the above cloud bread burger by heading to The Cheerful Kitchen.
Cloud Bread Pizza
How about a delicious carb-free pizza? Cloud bread has got you covered. Head to 360 Family Nutrition for this recipe.
According to the cloud bread mad-heads on Pinterest and Instagram, the food is best eaten after it’s been out of the oven for a few hours. So while it’s easy to make, try not to dive into the bread as soon as it’s finished baking.
Not impressed by cloud bread? Let us know what you love to eat during Ramadan in the comments.